SMT Middle school students may join our First LEGO League (FLL) robotics team.
First Lego League is an international organization that allows children ages 9-14 to solve a real-world challenge, build and operate a LEGO Mindstorm robot, and present their solutions to the community and a panel of LEGO judges in a fun competition.
FLL begins in early September with field set-up and creation of the challenge LEGO game pieces.
Next students work together to solve the real-world challenge. This year’s project mission is to make our interactions with animals better – hopefully better for all of us. Students must:
- Identify a problem when people and animals interact
- Design a solution that makes the interaction better for animals, people, or both
- Share the problem and solution with others
Students will research, devise and present a solution that adds value to society. Children will be expected to tap members of their community and professionals related to their solution as well as more traditional forms of research such as libraries and the internet. Once the solution comes to light in whatever format the students choose, they have to create a formal, creative, and entertaining presentation of their findings and present it to a community audience as well as in front of the LEGO judges during the competition. Each team member is required to participate in all areas of the problem/solution including: research, construction of the solution, and oral presentation.
In the Robot Game, students build and program an autonomous (no remote control) LEGO MINDSTORMS® robot to score points by performing mission tasks. These missions are inspired by the challenge theme. Missions require the robot to navigate, capture, transport or deliver objects on a printed mat (the field). The robot has two and a half minutes to complete as many missions as possible.
Finally, FLL stresses that all LEGO League members exhibit its Core Values. By embracing the Core Values, participants learn that that helping one another is the foundation of teamwork.
- We are a team.
- We do the work to find solutions with guidance from our coaches and mentors.
- We know our coaches and mentors don’t have all the answers; we learn together.
- We honor the spirit of friendly competition.
- What we discover is more important than what we win.
- We share our experiences with others.
- We display Gracious Professionalism® and Coopertition® in everything we do.
- We have FUN!
Visit the First Lego League website for more information.